Vitamin d deficiency

Hello doctor... I am 16 years old and .. I am having a severe vitamin d deficiency of 8.8 ng/ml. It was detected when I had gone for a check up to an orthopedic for muscle spasms and joint aches. He gave me a prescription of cholecalciferol capsules of 60000 IU which is for 2 months. I just wanted to know if there is a certain diet i can follow and should i be concerned that this can lead to other diseases or this deficiency is due to some disease.

Doctor Answers (3) on Vitamin d deficiency

Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello There. I can understand your concern. Your vitamin D3 level is very very low. You need to continue the medications for as long as prescribed. along with this, you need to get adequate sun exposure daily. exposing 20 percent of your body surface area in the sun for half an hour before 12 will be of great help for you. one glass of milk everyday at night. You need to have a high fiber diet and a high protein diet also. Best regards, Dr. Anil kumar jain
Dr. Amarpreet Singh Riar Delhi | General Practitioner
Go In the sun for 25 minutes daily.
Eat salmon.
Eat Calcirol on weekly basis for.maintenance.
Cod liver oil.
Do running to absorb it to your bones
Dr. Ameet Thakkar Mumbai | General Physician
Continue Cholecalciferol 60K once a week for 3 months and repeat you Votamin D3 levels. Your levels ideally should be above 30 ng/ml. If your levels are not > 30 ng/ml then continue cholecalciferol for 3 more months. You would probably need a maintenance dose of cholecalciferol for a long duration of time. Foods that provide vitamin D include: Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and Salmon. Foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals. Beef liver. Cheese. Egg yolks.