Tonsillitis

I have tonsillitis and I have a mixed review with many people that removing tonsil is good whereas some say even if you remove it occurs again. Also that after effects of tonsil operation is very bad

Doctor Answers (1) on Tonsillitis

Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil Bangalore | Otologist/ Neurotologist
The Faucial Tonsils is part of the Waldeyer's ring(Faucial Tonsils, Lingual Tonsil and the Adenoids) of the Lymphatic System which acts as the first line of defence in protecting a child in preventing infections from entering the body by stopping them in the throat. Upto about 2 years of age, the only source of immune defence is its mother's milk! Subsequently, between 2 and 4 years the Waldeyer's ring takes over. By the 5th year, the spleen, bone marrow and other lymphatic organs like the thymus gland are fully developed and take over the reigns of the lymphatic system and the Waldeyer's ring becomes vestigial. Sometimes misuse of antibiotics or incomplete treatment leads to germs trapped inside these tonsillar tissues not being killed and these survivors learn to resist the antibiotics by causing certain changes in their DNA turning into superbugs which multiply rapidly in these tissues and attack the body at an opportune moment when the body's immune system is weakened leading to serious diseases like Rheumatic Heart Disease( needing open heart surgery) or Glomerulonephritis (needing kidney transplant surgery). These superbugs must be destroyed before they destroy you and can be only removed is by removing the infected tissue. Until the turn of the century, the only way to do so was the surgical dissection of the tonsils....but now there are much safer and less painful ways to do so. 1. LASER assisted Tonsillar Ablation where the LASER vapourises the tonsillar tissue 2. Coblation Wand Tonsillectomy where Radiofrequency waves create a plasma at the tip of the wand to destroy the infected tissue safely and relatively atraumatically. Recover is also rapid and uneventful. I have access to both these technologies and have been doing it for the last 16 years.
Use this app to find me. My clinic Healthcare@Basaveshwaranagar is easily located on the app and look at my appointment calendar to select an appropriate time and date to meet me. Hope to see you soon.