Tension and Stress

Hello Doctor. My Mom is 45 yrs old. She has been through a lot of psychological stress and tension due to conflict with my father due to various personal reasons. She is a dependent and hence can only rely on my father's money. And since their relation and communication with my father is not well, she is under constant stress. She is totally consumed by the problem and constantly thinks about it and is not able to think about developing her life. Should we visit a psychiatrist or a psychologist?

Ms. Hema Sampath
Clinical Psychologist 11 yrs exp Bangalore

I can understand her issue and aprreciate  as a frown up kid raking the initiative in working the relationship of your parents. This could be definitely resolved by Counselling  itself.  Do visit a Psychologist and they will be able to guide her to handle her problems better .
Dr. Udayan Bhaumik
Psychiatrist 2 yrs exp Udupi

Hello.Sorry to hear about your mother.She definitely needs sychological help.Let your father also be present.Maybe after the evaluation it will be wise to comment on whether medicines can help.At the moment counselling is the way to go by.
Dr. Kavita Sagarkar
Psychiatrist 21 yrs exp Mumbai
Hi, from what you have written your mother needs to be assessed by a Psychiatrist initially , to get a proper diagnosis and  treatment plan. Occasionally, medication may be needed for short time, however she will need counseling too. You can choose a Psychiatrist who does counseling or the Psychiatrist you go to can then refer you to a Psychologist for counseling later. Hope this helps, All the Best!