Teeth cavity

I have a cavity and was wondering should I fill it up with silver or the tooth colour material to take care of the issue. I also do have stains on my teeth. I've been suggested to polish and scale, thereby cleaning my teeth but how often will I have to get this done.

Doctor Answers (8) on Teeth cavity

Go for tooth coloured restoration as it is more esthetic and visit your dentist every six months for regular check up
First of all Cavity :- you need to fill/restore it as soon as possible to prevent any complications Restoration material:- every restorative material has its own good and bad points (Silver is not an option if you ask me but i will explain it ) Silver (amalgam) It has mercury , mercury is dangerous Silver is metallic, it can lead to sensitivity to heat and cold Before filling silver a lot of tooth has to d Cut Etc etc Gic (white colour filling material) Its tooth bonding cement Pleasant colour Pretty good Less time consuming Composite (laser filling) Mine favorite Tooth colour , excellent matching Super strong Nice bonding with tooth Long life Less tooth cutting
Dr. Prashanth .V Chennai | Oral And MaxilloFacial Surgeon
Hello sir , initially u should get a scaling along with polishing for removing your stains . And then coming for your cavity u have two options either tooth coloured material or silver filling . Both the fillings dosent interfere with the tissue .. well tooth coloured will be more esthetic when compared to silver fillings .
Dr. Kaushal Shah Mumbai | Dental Surgeon
Hello...we nowadays do tooth colored fillings (composites in our lingo) more often than silver as they do not require too much of cavity preparation, thereby preserving your actual healthy tooth, secondly composites mimic your tooth structure in strength and color, thereby being more gentler to tooth damage, they can give way but easy to repair (as compared to silver which very often leads to fracture of tooth, if cavities are big, as they are more stronger than the teeth, albiet silver fillings do last longer) As far as scaling and polishing goes, once a year should suffice, except if you are prone to severe gum problems due to some systemic internal health issues, when rarely we may do scaling once in 6 months too.. Hope you are satisfied with the answers, be free to contact in case you need more clarification...
Hi, u should definitely get it filled, and now a days composites are highly recommended, which is a tooth coloured filling. Aa far as stains are concerned u should get it removed by scaling and polishing. And every six months u should visit a dentist for regular check up, he'll suggest whether scaling is needed or not depending on your oral hygiene.
Get the scaling and polishing done. Scaling,Depends how r u maintaining ur oral,hygenine. Once in six months I can visit dentist for normal,check up. Get the filling done asap. It's better if u go for tooth coloured material.
Hi definately u shud go for tooth color fillings, as thr r newer materials having good strength and advantage of esthetics over silver fillings..for stains u hv to go for professional cleaning..best of luck take care
Dr. Govindaraj.S.J Bangalore | Implantologist
Earlier days with limitations of resources, only alternative would have been silver amalgam filling. But science and research has given us newer tooth filling materials. I suggest you look at tooth colored material (composites). Kindly discuss the pros and cons with the concerned, as it would depend on the extent or size of the cavity. Scaling is highly recommended to maintain healthy gums. Again frequency of scaling would totally depend on your oral hygiene.