Suspected bipolar
Since past few years, symptoms of mild to bit severe bipolar as discussed wtih my family doctor. My brother has had three failed marriages, 2nd wife took his son away with her. Third divorce in progress. Not able to focus on work constantly and hence not able to settle in job. Some time talks very lovingly and some times, especially after consumption if alchohol gets very very angry. He is not even ready to meet with any counseller or therapist to seek help. He is not able to sleep well, does not get sleep easily and if wakes up in middle of the sleep, he is not able to sleep again. For past week or so have got him started on mild sedative with help of my family doctor. Please advise, how to help him out?
47 Views v

Answers (1)

Like the answers? Chat privately with the doctor of your choice

doctor profile image
Dr. Akshata Bhat
Psychiatrist 6 yrs exp Mumbai
I will need more information before concluding what the diagnosis is exactly. However, it is certain that there is a problem that requires urgent attention. There is also the issue of alcohol related problems that need to be assessed. From the details available it is obvious there is significant occupational and relationship dysfunction. It is possible that without immediate attention he may worsen. The longer the duration of illness, the longer it takes to recover. By delaying treatment, there is risk of worsening the outcome.
Next Steps
For these issues you need to take the patient to a psychiatrist. A detailed assessment will help to diagnose the problem. The combination of medication and counseling will help him deal with issues. I also suggest that the family members participate actively in counseling for themselves, as dealing with such patients is very stressful.
Health Tips
If he begins to voice any ideas of harm to self or others, take him to a psychiatrist immediately.
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
1/1 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Disclaimer : The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.