Suicide Thoughts

Hi, I am a male 27 yrs old,genetically influenced with drinking habit. I drink almost 24 days a month. Being in a govt job I have a lot responsibilities towards my family. Aftr drinking I seldom think of suicide as I m nt happy in my life.hv been in a treatment for same by a psychiatrist whch didn't work for me.

Doctor Answers (1) on Suicide Thoughts

Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Sir, there is no such think called hereditary alcoholism, so I am pretty sure that you are not influenced for being alcoholic by your genetics. And secondly because of your stress and addiction, you are having this thoughts.since you have mentioned that your previous generation also had a habit, most of the time psychological trauma suffered during that time creates lack of motivation towards the therapy you are receiving. Since alcoholic tend to eat food with poor nutritive value, most of them will have vitamin and mineral deficiencies.so have a healthy diet,consult a physician to know about things you are deficient.Generally stopping alcohol in chronic drinkers results in withdrawal symptoms so it should be stopped gradually and the symptoms are managed by medications, good orientation and willpower is required to giveup the habit and regular counselling is needed.do yoga and meditation on daily basis to destress and to get motivation.this things takes time since alcoholic have high incidences of relapsing back to their habit, so you need guidance of a psychiatrist till you have achieved some control over yourself.