Social Anxiety Disorder

Since my childhood, I had this fear interacting with complete strangers and could never perform anything in front of the class. It haunted me till now, due to this I lost so many opportunities in my life. I will not be able to sleep the entire night before the day of interview and ran from most of those, before they call my name. I feel short of breath and will start breathing from the mouth and end up vomiting and will have loss of apatite and due to which I will feel dizzy for full day interview or first day of job. Now at my position I have to attend lots of meetings and every-time before it starts I will start getting this anxiety and which messes up my entire day and meetings. I forget everything I prepare and even if I drink water, I feel like a burp stuck in stomach and I get this vomiting like sensation and end up throwing out even the water. I feel like this is going to ruin my entire career. I know this is Social anxiety disorder, can this be treated at all? Please help.
views-icons 42 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (2) on Social Anxiety Disorder

Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
Maybe u would have been snubbed at your childhood for not doing things perfectly or properly by some people very close to you.
OR,  You would have compared yourself with either your siblings,  cousins or classmates at that age.

Once this root problem is resolved in you whatever issue which you have mentioned  will all get handled by you easily.

For that you need to consult a Psychologist.

Whether you call it social anxiety, situational anxiety or panic attacks, there is a solution to your problem. Please see a psychiatrist in person. Your problem could be solved with a few medications from the psychiatrist with concurrent hypnotherapy/psychotherapy. Please do not worry... every problem has a solution, and modern medicine has made several giant strides in the field of mental health.