Shizophrenia

I am a schizophrenia patient since last 5 yrs recently went thru blood test prolactin it came 32.40 ng/ml can any body guide me am I eligible for reproduction or what does this indicate
views-icons 141 Views 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (1) on Shizophrenia

Dr. Shwetank Bansal Delhi | Psychiatrist
Hello.

Elevated Prolactin levels are a common side effect of anti-psychotic medications,  such as those used for the treatment of schizophrenia. This effect is usually reversible with the stoppage of medications. Additionally, medications are available to normalise the prolactin levels in the body.

The normal prolactin levels in males are 10-20 microgram/l. While elevated prolactin levels are associated with diminished libido(sexual drive) and infertility, in your case , the levels are mildly elevated,  and may not necessarily lead to these effects. If,  however you are experiencing any difficulty, you should speak to your psychiatrist about this and they'll be able to help you.

Take care.