Severe pain in left calf

I have been cycling regularly for about 2 months now. And playing tennis too, though never over stretching at any time, due to an ACL reconstruction done in the past. Today while playing tennis, all of a sudden I felt a crick/tear sensation in my left calf with sudden acute pain. I did immediately attend to it with an ice pack and rest. There seems to be no internal bleeding or change of color in affected area of the calf. Is it only a muscle pull/strain or do u suspect a muscle rupture. Generally what is the recovery period for a strained muscle and a ruptured muscle. Thanks.

Doctor Answers (3) on Severe pain in left calf

Dr. Rama S.K Pune | Internal Medicine
USG of the affected area will give the real picture to show any fluid collection between fibres of muscles....then can be treated accordingly
Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. 

I can understand your concern. 
It could be a tear also.
Many athletes like footballers experience these type of symptoms.
I would suggest you consult a orthopedician for further evaluation and management. 
A physical examination yields a lot of information based on which we can decide what to do.
Best regards.
Dr. Anil kumar jain.
Bangalore.

Dr. Vinod Veerapalli Bangalore | General Physician
This sounds like a muscle spasm, which is more common than a gastrocnemius (calf muscle) tear. Only way of knowing is by a physical examination.

Spasm of bigger muscles like this may last upto 2 to 3 weeks too and oftem very painful. Please continue to use ice packs and see if it helps take edge off the pain. Gently stretching 3-4 times a day helps restore the blood supply to spasmodic area of the muscle. Take pain killers only if needed, that too after food (combiflam or brufen 400mg) upto twice daily. If you have gastric issues start on an antacid like T. Nexpro 40mg before food daily for 4 to 5 days.

If pain is continuing to increase with every day and is affecting your ability to walk or use accelerator/brake while driving, you need to visit your family doctor or an orthopedician immediately. Hope this helps :).