Severe itching

I have severe itching. Taken cetzine but ineffective. Went to Hospital met Dermatologist. He prescribed medicine Atarax 25mg and Xyzal. He did blood test Ige, Thyroid and CBC. All reports are fine. He is unable to say what could be the reason for severe itching. He asked me to continue with above medication. I took Ayurveda treatment for Cholesterol, diabetes and bone pain. I have stopped Ayurveda treatment 2 months ago. I am having severe itching for the past three months. I told about my Ayurveda treatment to Dermatologist. He said it can't be the reason. Then what could be the reason for severe itching. What is the cure? What are the other tests?
views-icons 49 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark 3 Shares Bookmark this Answer

Dr. Vinod Veerapalli

Please get LFTs, urine routine done to rule out obstructive liver disease as the cause. But, most common cause in your age group is dryness of skin (xerosis) which can be relieved with moisturising soaps (Dermadew) and lotions (Emolene). If itching is severe, long acting antihistamines like Deslor 5mg twice daily should help. Please consult a good dermatologist for proper consultation.
Dr. Rama S.K
Internal Medicine 15 yrs exp Pune
Severe intractable itching may be due to gall bladder and its duct problem...get it evaluated