Semi solid food for baby

My female baby has completed 4 months and started 5th month..paediarician has recommended us to start solids. 1. Please tell me what solids are best to be started for baby. 2.i have prepared ragi malt and boiled rice kanji mix at home...what is best method to prepare kanji for baby?can i add formula or expressed breastmilk to kanji.. 3.Also if i give solid food once a day how many milk feeds should i give to my baby ? 4.What other solids can be given to her for her age? 5.what is best way to give ragi kanji to my baby? She dislikes palada..can i use bottle or cup and spoon or sipper which is better.. Please guide me.

Doctor Answers (1) on Semi solid food for baby

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there... It's always better to give 6 months of exclusive breast feeding later you can start solids...anyways since your doctor has recommended there will be a reason behind it...There are many ways to introduce solid food. The first foods usually vary from culture to culture and from family to family. Start with foods that contain iron, which babies need for many different aspects of their development. Meat, poultry, cooked egg yolk and well-cooked legumes (beans, lentils, chick peas) are good sources of iron. Store-bought iron-fortified infant cereals such as rice or barley are also common first foods because they are good sources of iron. Healthy foods that your whole family is eating are the best choice for your baby. Make sure they are plain, with no added salt, sugar or spices. You can use commercial baby foods, but read the label to ensure there is no added salt or sugar.