Seborrheic dermatitis

My skin is oily. The doctor told Me that i have this condition. Now this condition has advanced to eyebrows too. It's flaky and quite embarrassing. My hair started to fall out. I'm shaving my head once a month. Can i apply oil to regrow my lost hair? What can I do to prevent hair fall?I don't have a bald gene.

Doctor Answers (1) on Seborrheic dermatitis

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi, Seborrheic dermatitis is usually a long-term condition. You may need many repeated treatments before the symptoms go away. And they may return later. You may be able to manage flare-ups by recognizing seborrheic dermatitis symptoms and using a combination of self-care steps and medications.
Soften and remove scales from your hair.Apply mineral oil or olive oil to your scalp. Leave it in for an hour or so. Then comb or brush your hair and wash it.
Wash your skin regularly. Rinse the soap completely off your body and scalp. Avoid harsh soaps and use a moisturizer
.Apply a mild corticosteroid cream. If that doesn't work, try the antifungal cream ketoconazole.
Avoid products that contain alcohol. These can cause the disease to flare up.
Wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. This helps keep air circulating around your skin and reduces irritation
.If you have a beard or mustache, consider shaving it off. Seborrheic dermatitis can be worse under mustaches and beards. If this is the case for you, shaving might ease your symptoms.
Avoid scratching. Scratching can increase irritation and your risk of infection. Apply hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion to temporarily relieve itching.
Gently clean your eyelids. If your eyelids show signs of redness or scaling, wash them each night with baby shampoo and wipe away scales with a cotton swab. Warm or hot compresses also may help.