Scalp rashes

Hi, I am having scalp rashes. Mostly it is like pimples on scalp. Pimples will swell and become red. It will happen mostly in the backside of scalp. After some days, it will become dry and I can remove the dead skin. Sometimes pimples will be painful. And pimples will mostly come mostly in bunches and that whole area would become reddish. Can you please give any suggestions?? Thanks!!

Dr. Manoj Agarwala

Thanks for the query. This presentation can be seen with many skin diseases. The best option is to consult a Dermatologist in person to understand the problem and get it diagnosed. A proper treatment can then be started. Discuss the situation and hope it will be cleared in few days. Don't delay the appointment. You can use OTC anti-allergic medications. Based on your description it looks like a superficial bacterial infection usually caused by staphylococcus aureus. Sometimes they co-exist with fungal folliculitis. Kindly consult a dermatologist for exact diagnosis and a precise treatment plan. Its also important to prevent their relapse once you have got it cured. A decolonization regimen suggested by your doctor will help.