Regular periods

Hie I have regular periods but my ultrasounds show bilateral polycystic ovaries What does this mean I have maintained a healthy weight I have done DHT test too it's normal Is there any other test to be done As I have regular periods , will I have problems related to fertility Any medicine I need to start Not to forget I do have few pimples on my cheeks Please help?

Doctor Answers (3) on Regular periods

Dr. Disha Sridhar Bangalore | Gynecologist/Obstetrician
It's great that your cycles are regular but what about pain or clots during periods? It's not normal to have acne or even premenstrual syndrome which means mood changes before your periods. Even Acne is a sign of hormonal imbalance. May be you are in early stages of imbalances if you have any of the above symptoms listed above. For more details, you may want to read my blog on PCOS. Hope that helps...
Hi, Too many ultra sound reports "diagnose" polycystic ovaries but clinically vast majority of women thus diagnosed are not PCO patients. To put things in perspective, Polycystic Ovarian Disease [(better known as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)] initially derived its name from the presence of a number of small cysts on the ovaries, associated with menstrual irregularity, obesity, increased hair growth on face chest and stomach and infertility in women. Currently PCOS is defined as a condition in which 2 of the following 3 features are present: - there is diminished or absent ovulation manifested as infrequent or absent menstruation - excessive androgen activity (either clinically evident or established through blood tests) - polycystic ovaries established by ultrasound scans A number of women with PCOS do not have polycystic ovaries but have other symptoms that qualify their condition to be PCOS, and some women with polycystic ovaries are do not have any symptoms of PCOS. Therefore it is important to distinguish Polycystic ovaries (PCO) as a symptom from PCOS as a condition affecting many aspects of health. A woman is diagnosed with polycystic ovaries (as opposed to PCOS) if she has 12 or more follicles in at least 1 ovary, measuring 2-9 mm in diameter, or a total ovarian volume of greater than 10 cubic cm. The cysts found in PCOS are not harmful but lead to hormone imbalances. These small cysts are follicles (small fluid-filled sacs on the ovary within which an egg develops) that have gone only halfway through their development and remained as such, without reaching full size, breaking open to release egg at the middle of cycle. These follicles start releasing male hormone substances that lead to changes in woman’s health, including infertility.. Coming to you, you seem to have a heathy body weight and regular periods, but hypothyroidism. So, with conservative treatment you should conceive soon. Relax and consult an infertility specialist.
Dr. Parag Patil Thane | Gynecologist
You have bilateral PCOD shown on USG. But that is NOT the criteria to diagnose PCOD...... PCOD is diagnosed on basis of serum insulin levels and other tests. DHT is seldom measured alone. if the DHT is normal, it means that as yet there is no androgen excess. But the androgen excess is relative. so it may not come up in absolute numbers. Since you have acne and PCOD on USG, it would be prudent to start you on hormonal tablets to prevent pimple formation, correct the metabolic problems of PCOD by regular exercises, weight reduction, and some tablet. It would be better to meet a Gynecologist in person to do the tests and get medicines for the same But considering you have autoimmune hypothyroid along with it would be more better to see a endocrinologist who can help both