Regarding test for hiv

Hello, I am male 25, I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend 3 weeks before, having fear that I may b victim of HIV.Decided to test myself and went to Apollo labs where there are lot of test.Really confused which test need to be taken. What test confirm HIV? What all test need to be taken, what should I mention to labs which test need to be taken. The lab showed around 22 tests for HIV. please help.

Doctor Answers (1) on Regarding test for hiv

Dr. Pankaj B Borade Pune | Sexologist
Welcome to Practo. Firstly, about contacting HIV from partner, it is matter of concern if within 3 weeks of unprotected sex you develop following symptoms- weakness, fever, body ache, night sweats, weight loss, etc. These symptoms are like any other viral infection. HIV being viral infection, it would also present like this in very initial stage. Most importantly, if it is HIV, then these symptom would persist for weeks and would not respond to medications. If a person is experiencing these symptoms, then we go for an ELISA test. ELISA is not a confirmatory test. A negative ELISA would rule out a possibility of HIV. However if it is positive, an HIV is not confirm yet, and still another test is suggested for confirmation.
Look out for above mentioned symptoms. Symptoms similar to viral flu extending for a period of one month. If yes, then consult local physician.
A consultation to a General Physician in any case would be helpful. Regards, Dr Pankaj Borade