diabetes-icon

Red wine reduces diabetic

Can red wine reduce chances of getting diabetes? My father is a diabetic and he is a 64 year old. Will I get diabetes to as it is believed to be hereditary, and can red wine reduce the chances of getting it, apart from daily workouts

Doctor Answers (2) on Red wine reduces diabetic

Dr. Nikhil Prabhu Mumbai | Diabetologist
Red wine or any alcohol beverage causes hypoglycemia. It delays Krebs cycle. When you consume any alcoholic drink your liver's primary function shifts from glucose production to alcohol detoxification. No imo red wine won't reduce your chances of getting diabetes but if you stay lean or loose weight avoid alcohol avoid smoking and keep your blood pressure under control then it will surely reduces your chances of getting diabetes. If one parent is type 2 diabetic then you have 30-50% chance of diabetes if both parents are diabetic then it increases to 90%
Dr. Manjunath Malige Bangalore | Endocrinologist
there are studies which suggest that redwine is good for heart and I am not so sure about diabetes.Any alcoholic drink should always be taken in moderation.individuals with family history of type 2 diabetes are at increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.