Pregnancy related issues

From last year my wife and me was planning for baby but failed to succeed. After doing various tests last year in May ,my wife was diagnosed with PCO. Due to which she was given the medicines , Ovacare Myo and Obimet SR. We had to postpone the plan for some time due to some of my professional reason. Doctor told her to continue the medicine and hence she continued the medicine and till now she is having those. From last month we started to plan for the baby once again. But as we failed, we did some tests and it was found my wife's Prolactin level is high(23.9 ng/ml). Doctor suggested medicine Cabgoline one/week and she is continuing the same for last 5 weeks. Doctor also suggested to use ovulation prediction kit to find out if the ovulation is occurring correctly. Despite of taking the above medicines, she is still not ovulating properly. Hence wanted some suggestions.

Doctor Answers (1) on Pregnancy related issues

In case of PCOS, ie polycystic ovarian syndrome, there may be problems with ovulation. If your wife is having regular monthly periods, she is likely to be ovulating. If she is not having regular periods, she may benefit from ovulation inducing medication. It also depends on her body weight. If her BMI (body mass index) is more than 30, losing weight is quite likely to restore ovulation and regular periods. If you have tried conceiving for one month only, and if you have not been trying regularly for the last one year, then probably you have not tried for long enough. Ovulation prediction kits are not always accurate. You should also bear in mind that problems with fertility should not be investigated and treated in isolation. There could be other factors contributing to fertility problems. You need to see a gynaecologist. Full medical history for both of you needs to be assessed. Both of you need to be investigated for various factors, with blood tests, tubal patency test and semen analysis. Treatment should be commenced only after this.