Pregnancy Query

My wife is 3 weeks pregnant. I wanted to know when is the best time to consult a gyno. Also if you can please tell me as to what tests we should go for. I was thinking of thalesemia test as one of my cousin had this illness. Please recommend other tests we should go for to make sure we have a healthy baby.

Dr. Neelima Deshpande
Sexologist 26 yrs exp Pune
Thank you for your question. Now is a good time to go to your gynaecologist. They will take a detailed history including a family history when you can talk about the thallassemia. The tests will include an ultrasound examination to confirm that the pregnancy is intrauterine and the exact gestational age, hamemogr, blood group and rhesus status, thyroid function, blood sugar, HIV, Hepatitis B, syphilis screening tests. Additional tests are done at 12 weeks gestation to determine the risk of Downs syndrome and trisomy 13 and 18. An Anomaly scan is done around 20 weeks gestation. Your obstetrician will determine which tests are appropriate and which additional ones need to be done. They will guide you regarding exercise, nutrition and wellbeing during pregnancy. Best wishes