Prediabetic

I am diagnosed as prediabetic with fasting reading of 110,however post food reading was normal.Ofcourse I am not using sugar anymore but can I replace it with Jaggery?

Ms. Huda Shaikh
Dietitian/Nutritionist 3 yrs exp Mumbai
Hi there, Good to hear from you :) Please understand this phenomenon well that calorie wise sugar and jaggery are almost the same.The only benefit you get with jaggery is little bit of iron.Being a prediabetic does not mean you have to cut down sugar entirely 1/2 tsp a day should not be an issue.Just make sure that you avoid any refined,processed and high calorie foods in the diet.Also nowadays it is hard to find pure jaggery.....hence my advise would be use normal sugar in proper proportions and you should not face any problems.Eat more fresh fruits and veggies and keep yourself hydrated.
Dr. Amit Verma
Dietitian/Nutritionist 2 yrs exp Delhi
U can replace it with jaggery. But the condition is that jaggery comes in two types.. first one is fresh prepared of current year and second one is old means which was prepared in last or 2 - 3 years back..  so u can use old jaggery not fresh prepared jaggery but in limits