Preconception related

I had few questions.. I am planning for a pregnancy.. 1. Ideally how many months before pregnancy should we do preconception?? 2. What is done during preconception?? 3. Are any vitamin supplements prescribed for any deficiency in body? 4. Also, should I consume DHA Supplements during preconception for smarter baby??

Dr. Vijyaben Patel
Gynecologist 37 yrs exp Ahmedabad

Hi,very good question. There is no time limit for pre conception, but to acheive near to 100 % health of both partners within limits of available health checkup facilities is better before planning. In pre conception time period, one is building healthy body, mind and soul to try to get best baby without any complications. Can go for health check up of both partners including semen quality of husband, and take supplimens as per reports requirements. No overmedications unless you are defficient in that. For smarter baby do yoga, logical smart work while travelling through to be PARENTS.
Dr. Navpreet Buttar
Gynecologist 15 yrs exp Chandigarh
Hi. You must start Tablet FOLIC ACID 5 mg once a day ideally 3 months prior to conception . As folic acid deficiency leads to neural tube defects in foetus. Folic acid with DHA combination is usually prescribed after 12 weeks of pregnancy to be continued till delivery and till you breastfeed your child. Can lose weight to reach perfect BMI, if you are overweight. Get your serum TSH done to see if it is within normal range. Hypothyroidism may cause abortions. Get your Fasting Blood sugar done. Adopt a healthy life style . Do yoga , meditation.