Possible depression.

Feeling extremely low all throughout the day, impossible to concentrate, contemplate my possible death scenario quite often. No longer have an urge to live or do any possible activity. Have a history of self harm and had a break up 3 months ago. I've had such feelings (on and off) for over 2 years now but now everything came crashing down after the breakup. What should I do? Will simple motivation work? Should I see a psychiatrist, or a psychologist or therapy? I'm a student so I don't have the luxury of costly treatments.

Doctor Answers (1) on Possible depression.

Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
Dear student, from the brief background that you have provided here it seems that you are currently going through turbulent times and it is becoming difficult for you with each passing day. However I must assure you that with professional help you can get back to being yourselves and you can reclaim your life. Your history of self harm and current death related thoughts worry me, and I urge you to seek a psychiatric consultation at the earliest. In the meanwhile try to spend maximum times with people who share a positive relationship with you, pursue your hobbies, take a morning walk, do some physical exercise, and please remember that tough times are like waves and "this too shall pass." Have hope and best of luck for your health and future. Hope this helps you..