Please guide

My friend recommended me Alprax 1mg for medication for anti-anxiety and anti-depression. Is this medicine good? I have tried all exercises and yoga buy nothing could help me at all. I even visited few doctors I have to take medicine for the cure Someone suggested me Xanax, but it's not available in india, it's available under various different names and effects. Please suggest me some alternative to Xanax. I'll he grateful

Doctor Answers (5) on Please guide

Dr. Ravi Soni Lucknow | Neuropsychiatrist
Hi, I have read your query and understood your concerns.

First of all, you need to undersrand that Xanax (alprazolam) is a anxiolytic drug from benzodiazepine group. It has short half life and transient effects. It will surely reduce your anxiety but it will be for short duration only.

The treatment for anxiety and depression is by antidepressant drugs.

You must visit a psychiatrist and get evaluated properly. You must follow advice from a psychiatrist only. Do not try benzodiazepines or other drugs, alcohol or anything on your own.

If you need professional advice then ask me directly in personal conversation.

Hope I have tried my best to solve your problem.

Regards,
Dr Ravi Soni

Do not self medicate yourself.
Dr. Snigdha Mishra Delhi | Counselling Psychologist
It is understandable that you may wish to get out of this phase. Butz, please do not take random medical advice from friends. It can do you more harm than good. Get yourself evaluated from a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist. Even if you do have anxiety or depression, it is not necessary that you will need medication. Psychotherapy can help too. But, after evaluation of your recommended medication, please also team it up with regular psychotherapy to reduce symptoms and make your issues manageable.

All the best! If there isn't a good therapist available near you, please feel free to get in touch and you shall be guided to one. There are many therapists who also do theraphy online. Choose a well trained therapist,

Dr. Sonia Malhotra Pune | Psychiatrist
Dear sir,
I completely understand how troubled you are. It is good that you do realise you have a problem of anxiety and depression and are seeking help for it. My advice to you is:
1. Pls get thoroughly evaluated by a psychiatrist to get correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment for your actual problem.
2. Do not self medicate yourself with xanax or alprax or smoking or alcohol, you will worsen your problem and also add an addiction to yourself.
3. Take treatment for complete duration and for as long as your psychiatrist suggests. It will ensure that you do not fall ill again.

Pls feel free to contact me for private consultation.
Regards!

Dr. Udayan Bhaumik Kolkata | Psychiatrist
Alprax is not ideal .As madam said,an antidepressant with anti anxiety action is a better option.If you have sleep problems that can be tackled as well.
Dr. Antara Gupta Aligarh | Neuropsychiatrist
Alprax 1mg is not the right med for you. It may cause dependence ,rebound anxiety and tolerance. You may need an antidepressant with anti anxiety actions. Please consult a psychiatrist for evaluation and diagnosis. Never take alprax alone.