diabetes-icon
Pcos breastfeeding
Hello Dr I have pcos and thyroid problem. I take thyrox 100 mg. My son is 14onths old and i am a breastfeeding mother. I became pregnant after 3 yrs of marriage. And now my problem is weight gain. I have irregular periods. My question is shall i take metformin tablet while breastfeeding. Whether it affects my baby.please give good suggestion for me. ASAP

Dr. Geetendra Singh Dhanawat
Diabetologist 15 yrs exp Mumbai
Generally Metformin is avoided in lactating mothers because a fraction of it may pass through breast milk will reduce blood glucose of infant. Chances are less but it's a risk. So consult endocrinologist for thyroid, weight gain, irregular periods and other issues. Hope he will solve your issues in better ways. Wishing you and your baby good health.