Patellar fracture

My friend had undisplaced patellar fracture 8 weeks back and it got heeled only 50% , when he can take physiotherapy , do he need to wait till 100% heeled. Pls advice.

Doctor Answers (2) on Patellar fracture

Dr. Mangesh Darekar Pune | Orthopedic Surgeon
It takes 3 months for any fracture to heal. An image of the Xray would help in deciding how much it has healed. Also we usually start mobilisation by 6 weeks as the knee might become stiff. Also the patellar fracture even if undisplaced many a times requires fixation due to disruption of the extensor apparatus which in turn is examined by asking the patient to actively extend the knee. I suggest you show it to a orthopedist as 8 weeks is a pretty long time and Physio should begin or else chances of stiffness are more.
Dr. Chirag Dalal Mumbai | Orthopedic Surgeon
Passive slow mobilisation can be started. But be careful no force. Total healing period should be 6 to 8 mths. Total healing 1.5yrs.