Pain over knee cap

Hi I am experiencing pain over my knee when I bent my leg more than 90 degree, plz note that I hit gym regularly and just a day before onset of pain I trained my legs, did weighted squats and leg press followed by weighted lunges, please also note that there is no or negligible discomfort in walking or running

Doctor Answers (2) on Pain over knee cap

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Knee pain may be the result of an injury, such as a ruptured ligament or torn cartilage. Medical conditions — including arthritis, gout and infections — also can cause knee pain.

Rest. Take a break from your normal activities to reduce repetitive strain on your knee, give the injury time to heal and help prevent further damage. A day or two of rest may be all you need for a minor injury. More severe damage is likely to need a longer recovery time.

Ice. Ice reduces both pain and inflammation. A bag of frozen peas works well because it covers your whole knee. You can also use an ice pack wrapped in a thin towel to protect your skin. Although ice therapy is generally safe and effective, don't use ice for longer than 20 minutes at a time because of the risk of damage to your nerves and skin.

Compression. This helps prevent fluid buildup in damaged tissues and maintains knee alignment and stability. Look for a compression bandage that's lightweight, breathable and self-adhesive. It should be tight enough to support your knee without interfering with circulation.

Elevation. To help reduce swelling, try propping your injured leg on pillows or sitting in a recliner.

Consult Orthopedician...

Dr. Hithysh BM Bangalore | General Physician
Hello muscle sprain Meniscus and ligament injury should be ruled out consult orthopedician for further evaluation and treatment.