Pain in Throat(swallowing

Hello Doctor I am a smoker for 10 years. From past one month, I have been having pain in my throat while swallowing. But the pain is on the right side of the Adams apple area. Even when I am drinking water, the pain is present, but if I tilt my head to the left side and drink or eat, the pain is less.It feels like there is something like a knot in my throat. .No cough or cold, or fever.. But I do have fatigue.. I have recently been treated with antibiotics for urine infection. Kindly give opinion Thank you.
views-icons 40 Views bookmarks-icon 2 Bookmarks Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (2) on Pain in Throat(swallowing

Dr. Sumit Bhatti Pune | ENT/ Otolaryngologist
Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. This pain is usually due to acid reflux. 2. It is better to get a Videolaryngoscopy done to check the area around the voice box (larynx / Adam's apple) 3. Start with treatment of acid reflux (such as rabeprazole, pantoprazole or omeprazole) and Mucaine gel. Diet should be bland. An anti-inflamatory medication (such as paracetamol) after food can be taken for 2-3 days. It is unlikley that an infection will last a month, however, ther is no harm in getting a throat swab sent for culture. 4. Upload images or a video of the Videolaryngoscopy for an accurate assessment. Regards.
Videolaryngoscopy
Avoid antibiotics till you get the throat swab culture report.
Dr. Pinaki Mazumder Kolkata | Otologist/ Neurotologist
Smoking is one of the important cause of LPR and it needs prolonged treatment. Consult a good ENT specialist, get a diagnostic FOL done and after excluding other conditions, start medicines for LPR. Wish you a quick recovery.