Osteoporosis

What is the best course treatment We have already taken vitamin d injection. No other ailments like BP or sugar t score < -2.5 upto -3.0

Doctor Answers (2) on Osteoporosis

Dr. Biswajit Dutta Baruah Chennai | Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for asking me to reply.

That t score indicates that you have osteoporosis. In addition you also need to check if your calcium and vit d levels are low. If low you will need calcium and vit d supplements. You can also eat calcium rich foods like ragi, milk, cheese, curds, green leafy vegetables. You also need to expose yourself to the sunlight by going for walks early morning or late afternoon. Walking sidi helps strengthen the bones. In addition you may need meds to prevent excessive destruction of bones.

Visit an ortho surgeon close to your home who can help you with the meds. I cannot prescribe meds as Practo prohibits me from doing so.

Doing regular exercise will maintain strength in the bones. In addition you must take care to prevent falls at home by avoiding slippery surfaces, or carpeted areas. Have enough light on the rooms especially when being up in the middle of the night.

Good luck.

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Treatment recommendations are based on an estimate of your risk of breaking a bone in the next 10 years using information such as the bone density test. If the risk is not high, treatment might not include medication and might focus instead on lifestyle, safety and modifying risk factors for bone loss.

For both men and women at increased risk of fracture, the most widely prescribed osteoporosis medications are bisphosphonates.