Osteoclerosis detected.

Doctors say i have osteosclerosis.. Is it treatable? Withoit operation? If left untraeated will it lead to deafness? I get cold and cough vry frequently will it add to problm?

Dr. Anup Sabherwal
ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist 15 yrs exp Delhi

Surgery is one option for improving hearing in otosclerosis. This is decided by you audiometry report
Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil
ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist 20 yrs exp Bangalore
First of all... It is Otosclerosis.... It is an INCURABLE DISEASE wherein the bones of the ear demineralise and resulting in progressive deafness. The disease invariably begins in the ossicles of middle ear and progress into the cochlea till finally you are stone deaf. GOOD NEWS: It is very slow in its progression hen left undisturbed but may hasten when operated. CATCH 22 QUESTION: Am I ready to trade off 10-15 years of good hearing WITHOUT ANY AID for complete deafness later on? If the answer to that question is YES, then you should opt for Surgery- Stapedotomy. BUT if your answer is NO, then wonderful RIC type hearing Aids are available which you could change every 10 years which could ensure decent hearing for at least 25-30 years. REST ASSURED THAT COLDS AND INFECTIONS ARE UNRELATED TO THIS DISEASE, but if you are a diabetic, as the progression of Otosclerosis is more rapid, I would strongly recommend you to opt for RIC TYPE hearing aids.