Oral thrush

My 4 months old has oral thrush. For which Paed has prescribed GV soln. My nipples are feels irritated and painful at a times . so can I also use GV solution on my nipples as well..

Doctor Answers (1) on Oral thrush

Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for your query regarding neonatal oral thrush. As your baby is receiving treatment for a Fungal disorder it would be best if both of you take treatment to prevent recurrence and persistence of infection.

Gentian Violet (Gv) solution may not be adequate for treatment of nipple Candiasis and may aggravate drying and irritation.

A better option would be application of a creams with Miconazole 2 percent alone or in combination with Miconazole 2 percent plus hydrocortisone 1 percent,  brand-names like Daktacort Gel (Johnson and Johnson)  or other locally available brands after breast feeding in both the breasts regularly of 7 days. This ointment is safe for use by breastfeeding mothers. If symptoms persist  or aggravate after 7 days please consult your Obstetrician for Systemic anti-fungal therapy.

In women with irritation and pain in breasts to note
1. Ensure correct breast feeding technique.
2. Keep breast clean and dry at all times.
3. Application of a bit of breast milk after every feed helps naturally soothe irritation.
4. Exclusive breast feeding upto 6 months is the best for both mummy and baby.
5. If any symptoms occur do not hesitate to consult your Obstetrician.

Best Regards,