Optic Neuritis

My son's vision goes in this problem. Symptoms are headache,eye pain. Then He takes solumedrol injection over 2 hours mixed with NS . And Then Oral Steroids are started. In last 8 months this problem has occurred 4 times.This Is Very Rare. Every Doctor Says that this is our first case like this. Please suggest some

Doctor Answers (1) on Optic Neuritis

Varun Boddula Hyderabad | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
I am sorry to hear this as i know how painful it is to see your son going through this:

This is quiet a rare disease like 1 in 50000 people.

As you have mentioned it -Optic neuritis-

It does have treatment but not a cure yet.

Patients need to take oral or injectable steroids to decrease the inflamation of nerve cells of optic nerve (nerve for vision);
As inflammation of optic nerve can lead to diminition of vision.

It is quiet recurrent -
I have seen patients taking steroid tablets for more than 5 years myself.

You boy need to get MRI scanning done to rule out Multiple sclerosis (demyelinating disease- its like degeneration of nerve cells)  - it just doesnt happen to optic nerve cells alone - it can happen to any nerve cell in the body.

But on the other hand there is nothing much to worry - these individuals are quiet as normal as others - but with steroids.

Feel free to ask any query/ follow up
Take care

Hope it helps :)