Occasional back pains.

I tend to have pain in the lower back near hip whenever I do some stressful task like lifting heavy weight and it goes away in few days after proper rest. What can I do to make my back stronger to withhold the extra stress.

Doctor Answers (1) on Occasional back pains.

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
You may be able to avoid back pain or prevent its recurrence by improving your physical condition and learning and practicing proper body mechanics.
To keep your back healthy and strong:
Exercise. Regular low-impact aerobic activities — those that don't strain or jolt your back — can increase strength and endurance in your back and allow your muscles to function better. Walking and swimming are good choices. Talk with your doctor about which activities are best for you.
Build muscle strength and flexibility. Abdominal and back muscle exercises (core-strengthening exercises) help condition these muscles so that they work together like a natural corset for your back. Flexibility in your hips and upper legs aligns your pelvic bones to improve how your back feels. Your doctor or physical therapist can tell which exercises are right for you.
Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight strains back muscles. If you're overweight, trimming down can prevent back pain.