Obesity and weight issue

I think my husband is facing problem with obesity he has developed belly fat .He is an it professional and mostly his job is on rotational shifts .Most of the time he returns home till 3 am due to which I can't sug gest him to do exercises. I am little worried how to manage his routine so that his belly fat gets reduce . He is a non vegetarian and in a week he consume a lot of outside non vegetarian stuffs like chicken or mutton biryani ,fried chickens etc ..when I asked him to control his diet he always give excuses of office party and clients dinners. Please suggest how I can keep him fit and as my husband is die hard fan of non vegetarian cuisine so He can't leave non vegetarian food, I want such a solution that he should not leave his non veg food and stays fit. He has started going to gym but should I include more protein diet in his food as heard protein diet reduces belly fat?

Doctor Answers (2) on Obesity and weight issue

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Belly fat gain happens either due to addition of extra calories or due to failure to spend calories consumed...these extra calories deposited in our body as fat..for fat reduction you have to consume less calories and spend more...avoid junk foods,carbohydrates like rice etc,avoid oily foods...add proteins and fibre rich foods to your diet with green tea,green leafy vegetables, fruits...do regular exercise at least 2 hours a day....I would suggest you to consult nearest dietitian they will do the needful.
Dr. Harsha Bangalore | General Physician
First and foremost you must understand losing your weight is a very gradual process. You should have strong determination and patience if you want to lose weight. And it cannot happen suddenly. Losing too much suddenly is also not good for health. You have to follow a strict diet and exercise schedule. Regarding diet - have small multiple meals instead of 3 big meals, eat food rich in proteins and fibres like egg white boiled chicken vegetables fruits pulses, avoid carbohydrate rich foods like rice curds oily foods sweets ghee and other junk food. Regarding exercises - start slowly with brisk walking, then change over to jogging, running and other abdominal exercises. Never over strain yourself. And always keep yourself well hydrated and enjoy whatever you do. Also consult a dietician at any hospital who will be able to give you a proper chart regarding the same