Doctor Answers (6) on Mensuration problem
Thank you for your query regarding menstrual cycle and PCOD.
The cause of irregularity of menstrual cycle in PCOS is primarily due to anovulation or oligo-ovulation. ( infrequent release of egg from ovary)
It is a chronic metabolic condition with varied underlying etio-pathology.
As you have dual etiology of causation of an irregular cycle, I'd advise you to do the following tests.
2. Serum prolactin, serum free testosterone, S DHEAS, LH and FSH. To determine excess androgen ( male hormones in the blood).
3. Having 3-4 menses per year is okay, so maintain a menstrual diary to note date of last menses, days of bleed and pain.
4. Keep weight within normal BMI, loss of weight even 5 percent and exercise makes sure that your cycles get regularised spontaneously.
5. If you don't wish for pregnancy at present continuation of COC,s is an option.
6. Rest of the treatment of PCOS is symptomatic, including regular checkups for detection of development of diabetes.