Masturbation anxiety

I have been masturbating since age of 14 now am now 27. Now I am facing problems Like Anxiety Mild depression Low self confidence,Night fall Weak erectionEarly ejaculation I am not able to go social and talk with people. I got irritated easily. I feel very shy to talk to girls. Mind is full of sexual thought. Need

Doctor Answers (1) on Masturbation anxiety

Dr. Anjendra R Targe Pune | Psychiatrist
Hello,

All the problems that you have mentioned ranging from your anxiety, diminisehd self confidence, to depression, and difficulty talking to girls are related to some of the commonest myths about masturbation. All these misconceptions then resukt in the sexual problems your are having.

Firstly, let me clarify this. Masturbation is a healthy habit, if done in moderation when sexually excited. It is way of releasing your sexual urges in the absence of a sexual partner.

Due to inadeqaute sex education imparted in schools, and the wrong notions(masturbation is a sinful activity, causes acne, weakness, will have an impact on your ability to have offsprings, and so on) spread by friends and other people around us, we start having guilt feelings about the act. This then leads us into a cycle of guilt, which cause negative feelings and self reproach, anxiety, and irritability. However since it is a natural need of the body, if you don't do it when sexually excited, it will find it's way through sexual dreams in the night, causing the 'night falls' which is nothing wrong, but creates further doubt in out mind.

This cycle of anxiety is perpetuated everytime you masturbate, or indulge in a sexual activity, and results in problems like premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction.

So relax, there is nothing wrong with you physically. It's just that the wrong notions about masturbation, that are causing all these problems. Find a suitable partner for yourselves with confidence, and there's nothing wrong with masturbation if not done habitually.