Lower back pain on left

Hi. I have been suffering from lower back pain on the left during nights since 6 months. When i consulted the orthopedist he said that the space between L4-L5 AND L5-S1 reduced because i am overweight. My height is 5'4 and weight is 62. He asked me to loose 10kg. He also suggested me physiotherapy and some exercises. I have hypothyroidism since 7 years which makes it little hard for me to loose weight. My concern is if i could not loose weight will it worsen my back pain problem? And I want to get rid of my back pain permanently. Please help.

Doctor Answers (1) on Lower back pain on left

You need a detailed examination to check for features of nerve root compression. An MRI may also be indicated. Weight loss will help, but it would be more important to strengthen your back and abdominal muscles and adopt correct posture. If MRI shows disc prolapse with nerve compression, and you don't get relief through exercises and postural correction, then you need to discuss about surgical options with your doctor.