Left arm unable to lift
Fall recently from chair and unable to lift left hand. Aged 75. ortho doc says to visit neuro as he is saying that the problem is nerve

Dr. Biswajit Dutta Baruah
Orthopedic Surgeon 13 yrs exp Chennai

Thanks for writing to me. Most common cause of inability to raise the am after a fall is a fracture. If you have already had an xray done, and the doctor ruled out a fracture, then the next common cause is rotator cuff tear. An MRI of the shoulder can reveal this really. Only if these two conditions are doled out, will I think of a neurological cause for inability to lift the arm. If you have any further queries, please wrote to :  bdbaruah@orthodoc.in Thanks again.