Knee Joint pain

My Mother is having continuous pain in Knees . Doctor found that cartiledges are worn out and therefore require knee replacement . My mother not ready for this . Is there any alternate treatment available .

Doctor Answers (2) on Knee Joint pain

Dr. Nataraj H M Bangalore | Orthopedist
Intraarticular injection relieves her pain for few months.. Meanwhile u can convince her for knee replacement.. Physiotherapy also relieves pain temporarily but it's impracticable to take it everyday for life time..
Dr. R S Nair (PT) Delhi | Physiotherapist
Osteoarthritis is a wear & tear degenerative condition of the knee wherein the cartilage gets eroded resulting in rubbing of the bony surfaces causing pain, swelling & restriction in movement. .. Although there is no permanent conservative cure, physiotherapy is effective in alleviating the symptoms as desribed above. So regular physiotherapy combined with lifestyle changes like avoiding sitting on low surfaces, prolonged standing, stair climbing etc can help in improving functional activities of the patient. Also keeping the body weight under control is also imperative to reduce the load falling onto the knee joints..