Jaundice and hemoglobin
My son is 2 months and 5 days old. His total bilirubin 7.9 and direct bilirubin 0.5 and hemoglobin is 10.4 . What is ideal level of bilirubin and hemoglobin for this age after birth. As since his birth he was jaundiced and later told that he has breastmilk jaundice. He is exclusive breastmilk feeding. And his weight gain and poops and pees colour look fine only.

Dr. Trupti Shetty
Pediatrician 10 yrs exp Pune

At his age,  his bilirubin should be below 2 and direct bilirubin should be less than 0.2.  Also his hemoglobin should be higher than 10.5 atleast (ideally around 12) but since his bilirubin is still on the higher side,  it means his RBCs are getting destroyed and hence his Hb levels are low. How bad was your son's jaundice previously?  Did he have a difficult birth,  or any swelling on his scalp.  Was he preterm or low birth weight?  These factors will also have to be considered
I would suggest you consult your pediatrician at the earliest to rule out any cause that has been missed