Is OCP necessary for PCOS

I have been diagnosed with PCOS. My periods are 5-7 days late every month but they come every month. Do I necessarily have to take Yasmin or I can manage with diet and exercise. I m scared of taking pill because of its side effects. I am already very fat and it may cause more weight gain.

Doctor Answers (2) on Is OCP necessary for PCOS

Dr. Rinchen Zangmo Delhi | Gynecologist
Hi!! How old are you? Are you married? Have kids?? PCOS can also be associated with inability to conceive. As far as your periods are concerned, if you are getting your periods every 35 days then you don't need to take medication. Main thing is that you should have your periods within 35 days. if the periods are getting delayed beyond 40 days then you should take pills. pills have certain advantages as well, they protect you against ovarian and endometrial cancers. As you are obese and have pcos, you should routinely exercise and follow a proper diet, try to keep a target for weight reduction, say 2-3 kg in a month. PCOS can also be associated with thyroid disorders and breast discharge. So get your thyroid profile and prolactin levels done. If you have excessive and abnormal hair growth, also get your serum testosterone and DHEAs done.
exercise
weight reduction
Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
If your cycles are irregular to regularise you have to take it and you should follow diet and exercise along with that... You may require insulin sensitizers like metformin etc...You should decrease carbohydrate intake, take foods made-up of whole grains like whole wheat bread, Decrease fat intake and increase protein content. Take high fiber diet, fruits, vegetables but avoid starchy vegetables like potatoes. Take plenty of water avoid sugar drinks....Consult nearest gynecologists they will do the needful.