Is insulin good or not

My mother is a diabetic patient for last 5-6 yrs but today her sugar level was 160 fasting and 294 at noon and 137 at night around 9pm. In the afternoon she admitted as she was suffering from diarrhea so 1 unit of glucose drip was given to her... So is it high time for her to take insulin. What are its if nd but??? Once if u take insulin do u have to take it for the rest of your life??? What if insulin doesn't suit can we go back to medicines??? She is also taking medicines as Rivotril & Zolfresh 10 mg as she is a depression patient too.

Doctor Answers (1) on Is insulin good or not

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there I understand your concern... There is nothing that once you start insulin you should continue it...since she is in hospital she might have started insulin to correct glucose levels... If glucose levels under control with oral medications insulin is generally not recommended... Fallow strict diet and be in a regular fallow up with your physician they will do the needful.