Is ghee unhealthy?

Recently, I have heard many people touting benefits of olive oil over ghee and coconut oil. Wanted to know if ghee is really bad for health and whether I too should remove it from my diet.

Doctor Answers (1) on Is ghee unhealthy?

Ms. Sadia Sana Hyderabad | Dietitian/Nutritionist
No not at all. Ghee is not unhealthy but yes, anything in excess will have adverse effects. Ghee and coconut oil are saturated fats so they get breakdown easily and generate into energy if that energy is not utilised instantly it will again turn into body fat/ cholesterol. And now a days where work is very much done by machines and people becoming lazy, they say its unhealthy. Any how olive oil have more calories than ghee or any other oil but, it have polyunsaturated fat which does not break into energy quickly. If you have daily good regimen of work output and busy lifestyle to can have limited amount of ghee and coconut oil in your diet. Olive oil is also a better option to inculcate in your diet. Any other queries?