Is biotin preferred?

Hello doctor, I've referred several sites to know the prevention of hairloss. I have hormonal defect. Many sites suggested to consume biotin. And even i have few patches between my facial hair too. Is it preferable to consume it? If yes, then how much should i consume doctor?

Dr. Manoj Agarwala

Adding biotin alone will not help much as it is a supplement and not the main therapy. This is a common condition, and probably indicates a disturbed immune system. You may be having a condition called alopecia areata, if there are well defined patches of hair loss. Other diagnosis may also be possible and can be ascertained while consulting. However, this is the diagnosis most of the times. Treatment is simple and has different approaches. You need to discuss with a dermatologist to understand it at length. Skin is the mirror of internal health and to get a perfect skin you need to treat both ways - internally and externally.