Insulin. Resistance

Hi m taking xmet sr 500mg from 6 months now twice a day...Will it help in reducing weight..and whts its actual function..should I keep taking it?
views-icons 62 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Mail QnA Whatsapp QnA v

Hello there.  I can understand your concern.  You have not specified why you have been prescribed this in tge first place. Apart from diabetes its also prescribed in conditions like PCOD. Whether to continue or stop depends on the doctor who is treating you.  It doesnt help in losing weight but rather decreases weight gain. Best regards.  Dr. Anil kumar jain. Bangalore.

Hello.. Yes biguanides that is metformin helps us in losing weight...the main function of it is to help in using up the peripheral glucose...so helps in losing weight as well as keeping blood sugar under control...you need to follow up with dic who has suggested you the tablets..thank you
Dr. Prashant Kini
General Endocrinologist 11 yrs exp Mumbai
it helps in reducing weight. it acts by decreasing insulin resistance. it acts mainly on the liver.
Dr. V. Hari Prasad
General Physician 6 yrs exp Chennai
No it won't help in reducing weight but reduces weight gain it makes your body sugar level's well in control.by acting over your muscles,fat tissues and liver and intestine.reduces cholesterol ,reduce cardiovascular diseases.
before using this drug check your body by certain diagnostic tests whether your body can tolerate this drug
Dr. Nitin Sethi
General Physician 14 yrs exp Delhi
Although you have not specified why you have been prescribed metformin but I presume that you may be having deranged blood sugar levels or other issues like PCOD. In both the cases Metformin is very effective since it reduces Insulin resistance and helps in normal glucose metabolism. Metformin can not cause significant weight loss.You should definitely seek help before thinking to stop this medicine. Let me know if any further queries. Wishing you good health.Dr Nitin Sethi, Noida