Ingrown toe nail

I had a fungal infection in my left toe nail for a number of years now. I used several medicinesboth, oral and local, during which the problem reduces but returns back when I stop da medicines. Presently my toe nail has grown back to a considerable height but I have an ingrown toenail now. The problem is very severe as the corner has a mass of tissue protruding out and is extremely painful. Pus keeps leaking from that area. the pain is so severe that I m unable to sleep. The toe has swollen. Plz help as early as possible. I m suffering .

Doctor Answers (1) on Ingrown toe nail

Dr. D.P. Jayanth Mysore | Dermatologist
You need a course of appropriate antibiotic and pain killers for around 5 days to reduce the toe nail fold infection. Later, you need oral treatment for fungal nail infection. Once that is satisfactorily resolved, surgery for ingrowing toe nail may be done. A portion of nail on the sides is removed under local anesthesia and phenol is applied to create new space for nail to grow. Use loose fitting footwear and trim toe nails straight across and not C shaped. Consult dermatologist at the earliest.