Infertility due to sperm

Doctor has recommenced me for ICSI over IVF. The reason being reduced sperm motility. My testosterone level is 3. My question is what is the benchmark of progressive motility for sperm (% that should be progressively motile) to qualify for IVF or otherwise ICSI is the only way out. Also, is there any way to improve the progressive motility of sperms?

Doctor Answers (1) on Infertility due to sperm

The cut off level for sperm motility is 30% , ie in the semen sample, at least 30% of the sperms should have progressive motility. There is no absolute cut off level of sperm motility to decide between IVF or ICSI, generally. The indications for doing ICSI are usually: previous failed IVF cycle, severe abnormalities in the semen analysis, or when the sperms have to be obtained directly from the testes and not from a normal ejaculate. If your sperm motility is very abnormal, then you will fulfil the second criterion. Having said all this, the parameters for ICSI that I have discussed, may slightly vary according to the protocols and policies of individual fertility centres and units. There are certain medications in the market, which manufacturers claim, will help in improving sperm vitality and motility. You may try them, but results cannot be guaranteed. You need at least two semen analyses to be done prior to deciding that it is abnormal, as sometimes a repeat semen analysis may be normal after having an abnormal result.