I want to quit smoking.

Hi, I want to quit smoking...I usually have 5-6 cigs per day...but want to quit this .... I usually have a stressful IT job...but though I am determined to quit, I failed many times because of stress ....pls Suggest.

Doctor Answers (2) on I want to quit smoking.

Dr. Naveen Jayaram Bangalore | Psychiatrist
hi,
Nicotine is the most addictive substance which gives the positive effect after smoking. Once you stop smoking withdrawal symptoms will start immediately. restlessness, insomnia, lack of concentration, anxiety, are some of the symptoms. these symptoms last for a maximum period of 4- 6 weeks. There are medications available to manage the urge to smoke and to prevent withdrawal symptoms.
Hi

you can either set a date for quitting and stop at once or decide a gradual withdrawal. in the second method you commit to decreasing use of 1 cigarette every week til you get to complete abstinence (zero).

you can also try nicotine gum available at chemists to try and get of the cigarettes.

if none of this works, you need to see a psychiatrist with de addictions training.

Dr Divya Ganesh Nallur