Hydroquinone
I have been using a hydroquinone topical for last 3 weeks to treat a spot on my nose which irritates the side area of my nose after which I discontinued its use maybe i have been applying it on broken patch of skin...I wanted to know what happens if hydroquinone is applied on broken patch for such a long period as the irritated area is now turning darker...??

Dr. Manoj Agarwala

Thanks for the query. Hydroquinone is a prescription drug and comes in different concentrations. A particular strength is recommended keeping the patients skin type and skin condition in mind. It is a depigmenting agent and works well where indicated. The durationof application is decided by the skin specialist. if continued for long without supervision, a condition called Ochronis may develop and is difficult to treat then.
Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation.
Avoid self medications.

Hydroquinone side effects