Hormonal acne
I was diagnosed with PCOD some years ago as a result of which I've been suffering from hormonal acne. I've been recommended Spironolactone (25 mg) to get the acne under control. But will the acne situation get worse once I stop taking it in the future? Or will I have to continue taking it forever?

Dr. Manoj Agarwala

Skin care needs to be customized based on the presenting complaints. There are different ways to achieve a flawless skin after acne and it needs medical interventions and commitment on part of the patient. Acne treatment has multiple stages - to control new breakouts, to clear the sequelae (pigmentation and scars) and to prevent a relapse. An attempt to find out the root cause of acne should be made in every patient or else it keeps recurring. Each phase takes a couple of weeks before we move to the next phase of treatment. If you have active acne lesions, it should be controlled on priority basis. It does not happen that way and after a while you will be able to stop the drug. However the dosage that you are taking is very low. Combination treatment works better.