High prolactin
We did a prolactin check for my wife by taking blood sample and result was 53.42 ng/ml. We are trying for children ...and through doctor advice came to know that this is delaying her pregnency.. Could you kindly suggest how to address this problem... As of now she is using glycomet tablet...

Dr. Neelima Deshpande
Sexologist 26 yrs exp Pune
Thank you for your question. I assume that you are under the care of a gynaecologist specialising in fertility issues. A raised Prolactin works by stopping the ovary from releasing the egg which is why it needs to be treated with a specific medicine to reduce its level. Your doctor will also have checked your thyroid function  which if low can sometimes be associated with raised Prolactin. I gather that you are taking glycomet because you had PCOD? this condition too can be associated with raised Prolactin levels. Once the level comes down to normal the ovary responds better and releases an egg. Your doctor will then decide to stop the medicine used to reduce your Prolactin level. Please be reassured that the level of Prolactin you mention is only moderately raised and is not dangerous. hope this helps best wishes for your pregnancy