cardiologist-icon
High HB in blood
A have a high HB of 18.5 and before donating blood I was rejected on its behalf . I want to know is a high HB a problem ?

Hi, A high hemoglobin count indicates an above-average concentration of the oxygen-carrying protein hemoglobin in your blood. Hemoglobin (Hg or Hgb) is the main component of red blood cells.  Some causes for high hemoglobin levels are as follows: Living at a high altitude. Lung disease (Emphysema, COPD). Tobacco smoking. Bone marrow disorders (polycythaemia vera). Overdose or inappropriate use of the drug. Blood doping (adding RBC's by IV to the bloodstream). A high hemoglobin count is rarely an unexpected finding or simply discovered by chance. A high hemoglobin count and results from other tests may already indicate the cause of your illness.